Shipping a Car to Israel

Importing a Car to Israel
In order to ship a car (or motorcycle) to Israel, you will need to have clean title (no liens) on the vehicle and the title must be in the Oleh’s name. In addition, the vehicle must be manufactured in the country you are leaving unless car is being imported from Europe in which case there is no restriction on place of manufacture. There is also no country of origin restriction if the car is more than 30 years old, in which case it is considered an antique. You will also need:

  • Your Israeli Driver’s License.
  • A letter from Ministry of Transportation approving personal import for the specific vehicle.
  • A letter from the vehicle’s authorized importer stating they are willing to supply parts for the vehicle (you are not required to order parts through them).
  • Your driver’s license from overseas
  • To obtain your “import license” prior to the vehicle’s arrival in Israel. If not, there will be a 3% fine. You can do this over the internet on the Min. of Transportation web site (

Toshav Hozer (outside of Israel more than 6 years)
A Toshav Hozer does not get a tax-discount on cars, however they can import a car up to four years old.

Toshav Hozer (outside of Israel more than 2 and less than 6 years)
Toshavim Hozerim do not get tax-discounted cars, however they can import a car up to 4 years old.

Israeli Citizens
Israeli Citizens can import a car up to 2 years old.

Tourists can import a car without paying taxes, however the car can only be here for 6 months.
After 6 months, you must get an extension from the Israel Tax Authority for up to 9 or 12 months.
After this period the car must be shipped out of the country for at least 3 months.
There are certain variations on this law depending on the type of tourist visa you have (student visa, B1 Visa, etc).
With a Student Visa, you may keep the car in Israel as long as enrolled in a recognized institute of higher education.

All Olim and A-1 Visa holders
Effective 15 October 2009, three changes have been put in place by Ministry of Finance (Meches) regarding tax rights:

  1. An Oleh Hadash can now sell a car imported or bought with rights after four years (instead of five) without owing the difference in taxes.
    The procedure for “releasing” the car from Meches is the same.
  2. A holder of an A-1 Visa no longer has rights for tax-free import or purchases.
  3. An Oleh Hadash who was an A-1 Visa Holder in the past and used rights can not use them again.
    If partial rights were used, Meches can be petitioned for the use of rights not used.
    If no rights were used, rights will be applied as Oleh Hadash from the date of becoming Oleh Hadash.

*Please note:
Shipping a car from Europe will normally cost approximately $1,800 while from the US will normally cost approximately $2,200.*

More information:
Car shipping tax calculator

Move From:


Move to:


Your Name:

Your Email

Your phone

Your Message